Saturday 1 March 2014

"As Comforting as it Gets" Quinoa Mac 'n' Cheese

Being a student there is one thing that I have come accustom to and that’s Kraft Dinner. There’s nothing better and nothing cheaper than a huge pot of creamy, cheesy, pasta goodness. Expect maybe one thing – creamy, cheesy, quinoa goodness. 

This year I tried out quinoa mac 'n' cheese for the first time and I not only impressed myself but I impressed a few of my friends as well. When I explained how easy it was, everyone was on board. I made it from memory by watching my mom make homemade mac 'n' cheese when we were kids. She’d start with a roux (pronounced "roo") and then would add the cheese. So when I first made this recipe I basically eyed everything on my own. This made things quite difficult when I tried to explain to roommates and friends how to make it. “What’s a roux?”, “How much flour?”, “How much butter?”, “How do I know when it’s done and I can add the cheese” and my all time favourite “How much milk?”. All I could say was, “add everything so it’s all a thick consistency” or the straight up answer “I have no idea, Google, how to make a good cheese sauce.” I’m brutal, I know. I'm sorry...

This recipe is so good and to be honest I love it even more than classic mac 'n' cheese. The texture is fun and when it’s fresh out of the oven, it’s gooey and cheesy and the best reason of all – it’s a lot better for you. I figured something so good could be made even better if I added some fun ingredients to it. I decided I’d add canned tomatoes and green onion –  who doesn’t love those things? 


Pack down tight before you top with parmesan and breadcrumbs 
                                                 
Quinoa Mac 'n' Cheese

Ingredients:
1 ½ cups  quinoa
3 cups water
1 cup milk
1 tbsp butter
1 ½ cups of cheese
1 can diced tomatoes
2 chopped green onions
¼ cup parmesan cheese *
¼ breadcrumbs *
a couple dashes of hot sauce*
salt and pepper to taste 

* - OPTIONAL

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Add quinoa and water to a pot and boil until the quinoa has doubled in size and water is gone. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add butter and flour. Keep whisking until a thick paste forms. Add the milk and continue whisking. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring it to a boil. Keep whisking the whole time. Once it reaches a boil add salt, pepper, hot sauce and cheddar cheese. Strain tomatoes from the can. Add cooked quinoa, tomatoes and green onion to the cheese sauce. Pour mixture into a baking dish and top with bread crumbs and/or breadcrumbs if desired. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!
                                     

There was only three of us and this is how much was left. SORRY, we like to eat! 

             ***I apologize for the lack of photos this week. We were a hungry bunch of girls.***
                                                   



9 comments:

  1. sounds YUMMY...can't wait to try this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never even thought of adding quinoa to mac and cheese! Will definitely try this next time I make some! thanks for the QUInspiration, Devon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantastic, Devon! I'm a cheese-a-holic, so I'm definitely going to try this in the next few days. You're quite innovative with your use of quinoa. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had Quinoa before, but your recipes sound oh so good, that I need to try it!! Once school is out I hope to be able to have the time to cook more (perks of living at home, mom cooks). I will remember these. Thanks Devon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have recently been introduced to Quinoa in the form of a delicious Mediterranean salad and the taste has made me want to try other variations. I love homemade mac n cheese because, who doesn't, so I will definitely try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally a recipe that I have made before and absolutely loved! I remember you mentioning this recipe to me earlier this semester and I did not hesitate to make it that night. I recommend everyone to try out this dis because it's not only insanely easy to make but a very comforting meal as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Devon, I am so excited that this recipe has finally been posted! I have been wanting to make it since you first brought it for lunch in first term. This will definitely be something I make in the very near future. I don't see how a recipe could get any better, the two best ingredients in the world cheese and quinoa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each new post I see is making me more hungry! It's incredible how delicious food is healthy at the same time as usually what is tasty is forbidden))) I will definitely try to cook this recipe and, hopefully, nobody will die)) Thank you for a tasty post Devon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious and easy to make, perfect for a cold day in with friends. I love cheese so I'll definitely try this one!

    ReplyDelete