Sunday 16 February 2014

"Everything but the Kitchen Sink" Quinoa Granola Bars

I don’t mean to toot my own horn, but TOOT TOOT! These are amazing my friends, AMAZING!

Who doesn’t love a sweet chewy granola bar? I literally don’t know a single soul who doesn’t. Biting into a sweet, yet salty, chocolate chip granola bar that fills the soul with joy, there’s nothing better. Okay… maybe granola bars aren’t that great but they make life a whole lot easier when you’re someone who’s constantly on the go. Finding a granola bar that was jam packed with Quinoa was my quest and I totally succeeded when I stumbled upon a Quinoa granola bar recipe from Mouth Watering Eats . It’s simply divine.

                                       

To find my ingredients for these bars I decided I’d take a trip to Bulk Barn. When I got there I went completely buck wild and bought a ton of ingredients that would make a personalized granola bar that I, myself would love. So I hope that when you make these, you do the exact same. Add any ingredients you want. Personalize it and make it yours. Dried fruit, chocolate chips, nuts and/or coconut – whatever you think would be perfect for you. Do it and don’t look back because it’s going to rock!

Make sure to pack the mixture tightly

Here are the Quinoa Granola Bars with, you guessed it, my suggestions/changes in the brackets. Enjoy!!

Quinoa Granola Bars

Ingredients:
1 cup quick oats 
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 cup oat flour (I used regular flour)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 cup nut butter of choice (I used peanut butter because peanut butter is simply the best)
1/2 tsp vanilla

*optional: add-ins like chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit (DO IT! DO IT NOW! I used pecans, dark chocolate chips, unsweetened coconut and dried cranberries)*

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F.  Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper.  In a large bowl, mix together oats, quinoa, oat flour, and cinnamon.  Add honey, applesauce, nut butter, and vanilla.  Mix until a sticky mixture forms.  If you want to use any add-ins, throw in a handful now, and mix them in.  Press mixture into prepared pan.  Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool.  Once cooled, cut into 8 bars.  Store in an airtight container.  For traveling, put bars in a blastic bag or wrap in aluminum foil.


Finished product tastes amazing



7 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy and healthy! A good idea for lunches and picnics.I had no idea there could be so many things made with quinoa. TOOOOOT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the privilege of trying this delicious creation and I can vouch that it was amazing. So soft and sweet, it was the perfect combination. Thank you Quinoa Blonde, I am definitely going to attempt this recipe over reading week. YUUMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMMM these look absolutely delicious! I cannot go a day without having snacks and these look perfect to try. Plus these are healthy and homemade… definitely my kind of treat! Thank you Devon for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to make my own granola bars for a while, and actually love the idea of using quinoa. Making them with dark chocolate chips and coconut also sounds pretty amazing. Great idea and awesome blog Devon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently have started to bake some snacks at home. And I find myself gradually addicted to them. Plus, granola bars or anything made of granola always are my favorites. This is another great snack to make me mouthwatering, thanks Devon. Definitely will give it a try at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always looking for something that I can grab on the go and take with me, and these sound like a great solution! I've never tried quinoa in a granola bar, but after reading you post I'm definitely going to try it - bonus for the extreme personalization! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I got to give these a try!
    This is something new and different I wouldn't think of making, so thank you for sharing all the different ways quinoa can be made.

    ReplyDelete