Thursday 13 February 2014

"More Buffalo, Less Chicken" Buffalo Chicken Quinoa

I make a buffalo chicken dip that my family literally goes crazy for. It’s probably the healthiest dip out there. It’s made with cream cheese, blue cheese dressing, chicken and lots of wing sauce. I'm hoping you can see that when I say it’s healthy, I’m being extremely sarcastic, but eating it with cut up celery makes everything better. I based my version of Buffalo Chicken Quinoa off of that recipe but a touch healthier.
You could probably find thousands of Buffalo Chicken Quinoa recipes on the web but the one I made was a bit different. I put my own little twist on it by using plain yogurt as the base of my wet ingredients and Frank’s Red Hot Wing Sauce. Looking back now, I wish I had used a lot more wing sauce to kick up the heat, but it all depends what your taste buds can handle. Usually I don’t like a lot of spice but the blue cheese helped my mouth cool off.  
I really enjoyed this for a meal and to prove how good it was, my boyfriend who would never consider trying Quinoa finally ate some (I think the Frank’s is what got him) and he said he “actually enjoyed it”….SUCCESS!!


Buffalo Chicken Ingredients 
                                               

Buffalo Chicken Quiona 

Ingredients:
2 Cups Quinoa (I was planning my lunches for the week so that’s why it’s a large portion)
2 Chicken Breasts

4 Cups Water 
1 container of plain yogurt (the photos show two containers but I only used one)
¾  Cup of Frank’s Red Hot Wing Sauce (Make sure it’s the wing sauce, Frank’s Red Hot Original would not give you the right flavour and add has little or as much sauce as you want depending on your spice tolerance)
¾ Cup crumbled blue cheese 
3 Green Onions 

Directions:
Add Quinoa to the four cups of boiling water. Let the Quinoa cook until water is completely gone and Quinoa has expanded twice in size and a fluffy consistency. While the Quinoa is cooking put the chicken in the oven at 350C for 30 minutes. Pour Quinoa into a large mixing bowl and add chopped green onions. Pour yogurt and Frank’s Red Hot Wing Sauce into the mixing bowl and mix until the Quinoa is covered. Once the chicken is cooked chop it up and toss it with the coated Quinoa. Plate and sprinkle with blue cheese. Add more hot sauce if desired.

  
Plated and Ready to Eat




3 comments:

  1. I love Buffalo Chicken Dip. And I have quinoa just sitting in my cupboard! I think I'm going to try this on the weekend- Thanks Devon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. another recipe to all to my files....I snack on carrot and celery sticks all the time and I can't wait to make it !!!!.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. o-m-g I'm obsessed with buffalo chicken quinoa !! I think I've made this exact recipe before and now I'm tempted to make it again - I love making an extra large portion so I have leftovers for a few days.

    ReplyDelete