Wednesday 5 March 2014

"Nothing Fancy" Quinoa Omelette Bites

This week was pancake Tuesday. Now, I don’t know about everyone else but when I was a kid I LOVED pancake Tuesday. My mom made amazing pancakes and I would smother them in butter and maple syrup and call it a day. So, I bet you’re thinking I made quinoa pancakes or something, right? Wrong. I didn’t make pancakes, though those would probably be delicious, I did make breakfast for dinner. This week I made Quinoa Omelette Bites. They were super quick, super easy and most importantly, super delicious. 

The recipe came to me from an Instagram account I was told to follow (due to her vast amount of quinoa recipes) called - @healthyfitnessmeals. Scrolling through the photos I saw this one and noticed how simple it was. I don’t know if you can tell by now, but I am a huge fan of the quick and easy. I’m a student who’s got things to do and a limited budget to work with so this recipe was perfect for me. 

You can totally personalize this recipe as well by adding anything you enjoy putting in your omelettes. I love western omelettes, so next time I make these (which won’t be long) I’ll probably make them with those ingredients. But today I made these quinoa bites with green onion, spinach and chedder cheese. Nothing fancy, but hey, all the good things in life aren’t.


Whisking the ingredients 
   
Just about to go in the oven
   


Quinoa Omelette Bites

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
½ cup shredded chedder cheese
3 eggs (you can use plain egg whites if you are into that kind of thing)
1 clove minced garlic
1/3 cup chopped fresh spinach
2 chopped green onions
salt and pepper for seasoning

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray or line with muffin tins (I used muffin tins – it made for an easier clean up and I’m all about that). Cook your quinoa and then add it to a medium sized bowl and let stand for 10-15 minutes. Whisk eggs and add it to quinoa along with the rest of your ingredients. Mix thoroughly and place into muffin tins. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Take out and let them cool for 10 minutes, or if you’re like me until their cool enough so you don’t scorch your mouth. Enjoy! 




The Omelette Bites on top of a spinach salad with a roasted tomato and basil vinaigrette 

11 comments:

  1. Devon, these look amazing! And even better that they're quick and easy to make. I'm definitely going to have to try these soon. Perhaps this weekend I'll give this recipe a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Micheal. I'll be checking in next week to see what you thought!

      Delete
  2. This looks so delicious! and simple. Finding quick, healthy recipes my boys will eat is tough...this looks like it might be a winner! Thanks Devon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, it was a mistake reading this now. It's 11:21pm and now thanks to your post, I'm hungry and craving Omelette bites! Seriously though, this looks delicious!! I'm gonna give these a try sunday morning, I suck at cooking so they will probably turn a little ugly but hopefully still edible. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those omelette bites look absolutely amazing, Devon! Thanks for sharing - might try this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is 1:30 am on Tuesday (well technically Wednesday) and I just made these for Lunch tomorrow, can't wait to show you and try them! Thanks for the simple recipe Devon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing! I usually am not a fan of omelettes cause think they are a little too 'eggy' for me. However, I am definitely going to give them a try, I like how their smaller portions too. Thanks for the recipe Devon, love you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those. Omelettes. Look. Delicious!! I am a huge fan of omelettes and the fact that these are simple, quick and easy to customize to my liking gets me pretty pumped up to try and create some. I will have to give this recipe a try sometime. Thanks for introducing me to the exciting world of Quinoa Omelette Bites Devon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be honest, I still don't know just what the heck quinoa is! I'm a pretty picky eater, but with all these recipes, it looks pretty flexible (and perhaps even delicious).

    Now the ultimate question: is it pronounced "quinoa" or "quinoa"?

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Jarrod on this one. Though I'm not a picky eater, well I am, but that's because Crohn's disease doesn't allow me to have a lot of stuff.

    But These omelets look fantastic! if I can eat it, I think I just will :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. As soon as I noticed the word omelet this blog post caught my attention! I could go for one right now after seeing the pictures you have provided. I will definitely have to try out the recipe you added. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete