Tuesday 21 January 2014

"They Aren't Pretty But They're Delicious" Quinoa Burgers

I am finally writing my first official post and what better thing to make, than BURGERS - Quinoa burgers that is. Now if you’re sitting there and you’re reading this going, is this girl serious? Than look no further because I am more serious than you’ll ever know. These little patties were MARVELLOUS, so I really think you should try them.
Now don't get me wrong I am a girl who loves a good ol' juicy burger, smothered in cheese and bacon, but changing it up sometimes is fun! These aren't patties that you just throw on a bun but you can totally spread on any topping you see fit. I personally just ate mine plain and they were terrific on their own, but that’s totally a personal opinion. I paired them with a spinach salad and my meal was complete.
I found this recipe online from a blog titled, Creative, Crafty and Canadian. You must know that for the most part I followed her recipe but I made some small tweaks of my own. 
Below is the recipe and in brackets you can find my changes. I hope this recipe goes as well for you as it did for me.


Quinoa Burger Selfie

Quinoa Burger Patties (Makes approx. 8 patties)
Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
2 cup water
10 large broccoli florets, steamed and chopped
1 onion, diced, sautéed (2 raw green onion)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped (minced garlic from a jar, about a teaspoon)
Seasoning (I used Club House Roasted Garlic and Peppers)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used about 3/4 cup. What? I like cheese!)
1 large egg, slightly beaten
Salt and Pepper for seasoning
Olive oil for cooking


Directions: Cook your Quinoa according to the directions on the packaging.  It’s the same ratio as cooking rice,  1 part Quinoa to 2 parts water.  After rinsing the Quinoa, combining 1 cup of Quinoa with 2 cups of boiling water, bring to a boil, then simmer covered for about 15-20 minutes. Let it cool. Steam broccoli in microwave steamer, cool, then chop into small pieces. Chop green onion and in a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together, leaving the egg until the end. Mix well. Form balls with wet hands, pat down the centre to make thick patties. In a skillet, add olive oil and cook each patty for about 7 – 8 minutes on each side on medium heat or till golden brown.




The Final Result 

5 comments:

  1. LOVE THE QUINOA - this recipe would be very good for making meatballs too - yum!!
    (Lexa)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep this blog bookmarked because I have a son who is a vegetarian and we eat bucket loads of quinoa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to make that apple bake! Thanks Wendy:):)

      Delete
  3. That burger looks amazing!! I can't wait to try making them for myself (if I ever get the motivation to do so)! Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a great quinoa burger recipe that a friend of mine gave me. You're right, they aren't pretty but they are delicious! I'll have to make these ones and compare!

    ReplyDelete